Upcoming Edward Carpenter Forum Events
Bolton (near Manchester), England
Edward Carpenter, Walt Whitman and the Bolton Loving Cup
The Bolton Whitmanites were a unique group of loving companions and socialists committed to Walt Whitman and the promotion of his writing.
They were friends with Edward Carpenter and Whitman wrote to them regularly for years.
A group at Bolton still continues their annual celebration of Whitman's birthday
& sharing of the loving cup.
The Carpenter Forum is planning a weekend event at Bolton ,
at the end of May 2008, to coincide with Whitman's birthday celebrations,
offering presentations by an international group of speakers,
& the chance to visit Bolton's Whitman archive, the largest collection in the country.
More information, dates and booking details will be available to Forum members
early in the New Year.
Uncovering Edward Carpenter’s Cambridge
Date to be announced.
At this event we will be exploring:
- his years as an undergraduate,
- his clerical fellowship at Trinity Hall,
- his time as a curate with F.D.Maurice at St.Edward’s Church…
- plus his continuing links to Cambridge through C.R.Ashbee, Lowes Dickinson, and E.M.Forster…
- his later influence on Rupert Brook and the Neo-Paganists…
finishing with tea at ‘the Orchard’ Granchester.